Monday, June 7, 2010

Just A Small Bump In the Road

So the last time I posted on here, I was busy hauling all of my shit across time and space, pondering why I was even bothering. I guess I pondered longer and harder than I should have, but the result was that I couldn't think of a truly good reason why I should. So I didn't. I ended up quietly leaving my first Corp.

I kind of feel like a shit heel, but the reality of it is that I don't think that anyone even realizes that I'm gone. It was nothing at all personal against the good people of that Corp. I know that they tried their best, as did I, but it honestly just wasn't a good fit in the end. I learned quite a lot and am very thankful to them for that.

So I did what any other noob might do, and hit up the recruitment channel, watching and waiting. There really isn't much out there that appeals to me, at all. At least, none that are recruiting anyway. One day I saw a lone guy out there recruiting, and for whatever reason, something appealed to me about the way he was going about it. We chatted, and he explained to me his plans / goals, etc. We clicked and I signed up.

I spent about 2 weeks in a 2 person Corp, but this dude spoke to me more in the first 2 or 3 days than my last Corp did combined in 2 months. I have a great time hanging out with him, but the reality of it is that recruiting in EvE is ridiculously hard. There aren't a ton of new people, and you don't want someone who is that new anyway as I think that a lot of new players don't stick around for long and are hard to train (ala myself) anyway.

It's like a vicious catch 22 in EvE. New people are interested at first, but there's nobody to seriously take them and show them the ropes, explain things, etc. That kind of thing takes a LOT of time. So if they're smart they spend a lot of time at EvE U and move on, if they can maintain their interest in the game long enough on their own. They have nobody to BS with, joke around with, ask questions to, etc.

Then on the flip side you have Corporations. They would love to pad their numbers, but might not have the resources needed to take on the Newer players. And the older more established Corps just don't want to deal with the hassle of taking them on as they already have a solid member base. They're looking for more experienced pilots, etc.

This game needs a way to better promote social interaction desperately.

Anyway, rambling aside, my Corp mate found us a slightly bigger Corp who's goals are supposedly aligned with our own, etc. I hadn't heard from him for almost a week while he was being recruited by this other Corp. In the meantime, I have been ratting around with another dude I met who has offered me a space with his Corp.

So now I'm trying to choose which direction to go in, if any direction at all. I'm honestly just tempted to strike out on my own again for a while. It's hard to make these kind of decisions when you don't know the ramifications (if any) on down the road.

Interestingly enough, I DID manage to find the EvE Radio channel (and website), and have been having a blast in there. I enjoy it enough to where I think I could enjoy EvE just docked in a station, hanging out in the Radio channel, playing the market or researching Tech and shit without ever flying a ship. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment